Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I'm Supposed to Take Care of You

I saw my mother today. You know, the one that I lost a couple of years ago? I was sick Sunday night and a bit of Monday morning, although the morning was more exhaustion from the night before. Anyway, I got mom up for breakfast, told her I was sick and she had the choice of going back to bed or staying up. Thankfully, she chose bed. At noon we got up and once again I gave her the choice. I said I was sick and was going to bed. She looked at me and said "I'm your mother, I'm supposed to take care of you". I stopped on my way out of the room and looked at her. Bless her. If she had been in any physical state to do so, I would have let her. But as it is I would have had to stay up and supervise. But just for those few minutes our roles were reversed once more, I the child who was sick; she the mother who would take care of me.

I saw my mother today - and she wanted to take care of me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very moving. I've had this happen, too, and I'll admit that I've exagerrated things a bit at times to try to bring out the maternal response in my mother. Like yours, my Mom wants to take care of me but no longer knows how. But it's still in her, isn't it?

I hope you're feeling better, Eve. Have another glass of ginger ale and relax.

Tue Jul 11, 07:28:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Paula Martinac said...

Bailey - This is touching story. Wouldn't it be great if there was one tiny thing your mom could do for you?

The role reversal has been very hard on my mom, too, who took care of everything and now can't even take care of herself (and worst of all, doesn't realize she can't). "I hate relying on you girls," she often says to me, before bursting into tears.

Wed Jul 12, 06:25:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

Paula, I wish there was something, but she's just not capable any more.

Thanks for dropping by.

Wed Jul 12, 08:07:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home