Thursday, July 13, 2006

A Nap is a Terrible Thing to Waste

Those who are unfamiliar with my routine (probably most of those who come by here) don't know that I must take a nap on Thursday afternoons or I am just dead on Friday. I work Thursday night and don't get home until after 9:00 p.m. It takes me a while to settle down, usually around midnight, but sometimes later. So I laid down a little before noon, mom went to her room to nap too. At 12:30 she was back up. I settled her in front of the TV and went back to bed, nothing unusual there. It was close to 1:00 before I drifted off. I awoke when her door closed. Laid there and listened to her open the door, go down the hall and then back in to her room. She came out again and went into my bathroom. I looked at the clock - 2:18. Hmmm, not much of a nap and I had to get up by 3:00. She came out of the bathroom.

"What's the matter mom?"

"Someone's going to get killed"

So what have the cats done this time? "Who mom?"

She came into my room and sat on the bed. "Regis says his dad is going to be killed" (she has a fixation on Regis Philbin).

I'm not quite awake yet. "Mom, Regis is close to your age, I think his dad has been gone for some time."

"Oh no, that's not right" she became more agitated.

"Who told you this?"

"He told me when I was downtown."

I guess my disbelief must have shown on my face as she got up in a flounce and left the room as only an arthritic woman can.

So, now I'm worried about Regis' dad.

I'm going to be so dead tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eve--I hope you got to finish your nap, but I'm glad you posted this. I'm at a point where I would rather see my mother have these rather energetic delusions than the emptiness she often has. I had to laugh, reading this, just out of recognition. My mother and sister had a tiff yesterday, and I heard my sister's version of it first. When I got home I waited for my mother to bring it up, and she finally said, "Boy, did we have some excitement today." I played it cool and she continued: "I let the two dogs out and they had a fight in the backyard." Whoa! I looked at my two dogs--12 and 13 years old and immobilized by the heat--and realized that she was substituting them for her and my sister. I was almost proud of her creativity! So it's up to you to figure out what Regis "really" symbolizes... ;)

Thu Jul 13, 08:50:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Gail Rae said...

Hmmm...since my mother is unfamiliar with Regis, I wonder who's dad I need to worry about!

Sat Jul 15, 02:55:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

Deb - Nope, didn't get to finish the nap, and ended up staying up till around midnight - which is my usual Thursday night bedtime. I did get a couple of hours on Friday - but then couldn't sleep last night and ended up with only 3 hours of sleep. Can we say drift through work? Mom makes up stories like that too - if anything happens, the cats did it. I don't know if Regis really symbolizes anything other than the fact that she is obsessed with him.

Gail - LOL, I don't know, Jay Leno's?

Sat Jul 15, 09:15:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home