Saturday, July 15, 2006

A Good Day

Mom got up Thursday morning, ate her breakfast and then declared she was going to get dressed. After I wiped that surprised look off of my face, I went in to help her. She hasn't changed out of sleep shirts in weeks. But there she was, pants/shirt, shoes and socks. She sat up all morning and then took a bit of a nap (see previous post about nap) and then was up for most of the day. Bebo says that she wanted to go to sleep around 7:00 and that she had to make her stay up until 8:00 - but still, that was good. Of course, that meant that she was down today.

I'm going to have to make some changes though - get out the credit card and buy a recliner or something so that I can sit in her room with her. I know that a lot of times she's in bed because her arthritis hurts her and she's more comfortable there. I'm also going to have to do some switching around of TV's and get another DVD player - maybe some more DVD's. If it weren't for the fact that she does go in to the den from time to time, I would move the recliner, TV and DVD player from in there, but oh well.

Hmmm, not a very enlightening or deep post, but it'll do for today.

5 Comments:

Blogger Karma said...

Good ideas. My mom spends all day changing her clothes - although she takes dirty clothes out of her hamper and puts those on.

She loves DVDs. My mom especially loves DVDs from around when she was in her teens/early 20s and musicals - she likes to sing along.

Fri Jul 14, 10:59:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

Mom used to do the all day change clothes thing. And her clothes didn't make it to the hamper often (well, except for underwear). She'd hang the stuff back up.

Mom loves the old stuff too, but some newer things. I'm thinking of myself too - I need to sit with her for a while during the day. Part of her problem may be some depression.

Fri Jul 14, 11:04:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Gail Rae said...

Whoa...I wish my mother went to bed because she's simply more comfortable there...she actually goes there because she loves "the sleep, the dream". Although she claims, occasionally, that she "didn't sleep", in fact, I know she does, I am constantly checking in on her when she's down. I think her dreams are a country she visits and she considers sleep a legitimate, moving-and-everything activity. I'm sure she would not be happy if I moved a chair in there and tried to keep her from that other country!

Sat Jul 15, 03:02:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother is glued to one spot on the sofa in the living room, so I finally got a TV set/DVD player and put it there, mostly for me and the homemaker. My mother can sit there for hours and do nothing, but I know she likes to have me sit with her, so between my knitting and the TV, I don't go crazy.

Ah, the clothes. Today I did her laundry, which is getting smaller each week. I hate to say it, but I count the underpants, just to make sure things are changed properly. Today there were too few, and so now I have to think of how to broach the subject with her tactfully...

Sat Jul 15, 08:20:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

Gail - Mother does the "I wasn't asleep" thing too - but she's done that for years. We used to tease her about having to take a nap on the couch before going to bed. *gg* But there are times when she's just lying there in bed staring at the TV, wide awake. And I can't sit on the floor - my arthritis won't allow it.

Deb - That's why I've always bought her DVD's of movies that I wouldn't mind watching either. I kind of sneakidly (is that spelled right?) took care of the underwear thing. She used to wear Depends at night and then when she started staying in bed all day I had her begin wearing them in the daytime too. Then I stole all of her underwear. I know, bad me - do I feel guilty - not one damn bit. I supervise the changing and disposing.

Sat Jul 15, 08:33:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home