Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday Update

Sorry, but I just didn't have a lot of time to post this morning.

We went out and got the ball rolling on the funeral, then took a break over at Borders. Then home for a nap.

Mom's temperature was 102.4 this morning and her apnea is worse. She breathes normally a couple of times and then exhales - I could count to 21 before she took the next breath. Her doctor came to see her yesterday - the first time we'd seen a doctor since this began. She said that since mom could be roused, that it could be another 2 weeks. After Bebo and I picked our jaws off the floor she said "but she could die of a heart attack tonight". It's not that we were disappointed that it wouldn't be sooner, just that Bebo can't take that much off of work and I had planned three weeks at max, but that was supposed to include a week between the funeral and going back to work. So we decided to wait and talk to the hospice nurse - they're the ones that are "in the trenches" so to speak. And besides, we remembered that you could rouse dad on the day that he died. When the nurse arrived this morning, we pounced. We told her what the doctor said and she just rolled her eyes - she said she would not be surprised if mom went this weekend and that keeping to the original time-line of a week to 10 days was more realistic (today is the 6th day). She said that mom's body wouldn't hold out another 2 weeks.

Good news though - at least through the weekend mom has continual hospice care - that means that we have nurses 24 hours a day (hence my time for a nap). I won't have to get up at 2:00 a.m. to give her medicine, or turn her, etc. - at least until Monday. They will re-evaluate the situation then. They provide this care in times of crisis (the nurse deemed us exhausted) and for the last five days of the patients life. So if it continues after the weekend it will be because the hospice people believe that this is the end.So just continue to pray for a quick resolution - when people say they hope they don't sound cruel for saying that, we tell them "it's not like she's getting better - it's going to happen regardless so let it be swift."

4 Comments:

Blogger Gail Rae said...

Yes, when it's bound to happen, it should definitely and always be swift. I hope this is true for your Mom.

Fri Oct 13, 11:27:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Karma said...

It is wonderful that you're Mom will be getting hospice care BUT frustrating that you keep getting such conflicting information. I think that some doctors tend to give longer periods of time just to cover their butts. It is so hard to be prepared at the same time for maybe any time - maybe 2 weeks. Take care.

Sat Oct 14, 04:46:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bailey, I know that you're busy with the many arrangements that have to be made after a family member dies. But I want you to know how wonderful I think it is that you've posted some of the details of your mom's last few days. Your experiences were very similar to ours when Dad died. I wish I'd known more about what to expect, and I'm sure your story will help someone about to go through this.

Mon Oct 16, 08:57:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Matt said...

I don't know the pain personally, but I spent 3.5 years working in an Alzheimer’s/Long Term Care facility in Utah and I know the difficulties and pains associated with this disease. I personally got to know some great people afflicted with Alzheimer’s and I also became close with some of their families. I’ve seen a lot of resources that help. One in particular seems to be a great benefit: http://www.thecaringspace.com
Please pass this link along to anyone you feel could benefit from it.

Tue Dec 30, 02:16:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home