Monday, September 11, 2006

Help?

Serzone (nefazadone): Serzone is a newer antidepressant which appears to be well tolerated in the elderly. It is similar to trazodone which is more effective as a hypnotic agent in the elderly than as an antidepressant. Serzone is effective as an antidepressant and actually has immediate anti-anxiety effects so it is also beneficial in relieving anxiety associated with depression.
Dosing is usually twice daily. In general, older adults require less frequent dosing compared to younger adults. Side effects may include; blurred vision, clumsiness or unsteady gait, low blood pressure (with or without dizziness), diarrhea, stomach pain, hypertension, angina, tinnitus, abnormal dreams, drowsiness, headache, among others

Hmmmm, mother starts this tomorrow. We'll see. The doctor is also going to get up a visit from the home nurse thingy to come here and evaluate what we need. My sister is good for one thing - she's a barracuda, so I sicked her on the doctor. Unfortunately, she's in a nursing home and can't go with me to appointments (or help with mother). After a weekend of crying fits (mine), my sister finally decided that I'd had enough. (Previously remarks were along the line of - well she took the job and this is part of it - and we wonder why I don't talk to her a lot.) My sister-in-law, Bebo, will be going with me to mom's next appointment in December - since I'm not sure I can get her there by myself. Mom is now refusing to get out of bed and has screaming fits. (of course, she says she could get some rest if "that" woman would quit screaming)

Mom funny: To me - "You sound like you don't look too well." I'll try to sound better from now on.

My back is killing me from moving her around that bed and constantly bending. Yes, we have the sheet trick going, but it's still a lot of tugging and pulling.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brandy said...

I like the "you sound like you don't look too well".
Still praying for some relief for you.

Tue Sep 12, 11:30:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Paula Martinac said...

Bailey - I'll be interested to see how your mom does on Serzone, which I haven't heard of. My mom has not fared well on antidepressants; we tried two, and she went kind of crazy on both. But it's a vicious circle, because her depression complicates and feeds her dementia... Anyway, I hope it goes well for your mom and that she doesn't suffer the side effects.

Thu Sep 14, 09:38:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bailey, I hope Serzone works for your mom. Take care of your back.

Fri Sep 15, 08:09:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home