Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Stopgaps


I’ve got a nice cosy chair to sit in, a personal fan to blow on me and a lamp to read by. Now all I need is a little more space for a table of sorts to set my drink on, a clock, phone, etc. because the cats will have fun with that tray. We’re going to have to take out the dresser you see to the left of the chair, and move things around, but I think we can do it. She still has a chest of drawers which the TV is sitting on – without dad she doesn’t need both, in fact, the chest is full of junk. She’s also given me permission (she won’t remember though) to take down the decorative grouping on the wall behind the TV and put up family photos. Today she finally refused to sit on the toilet – it just hurts her too much to sit down that far. Her right hip is pretty much immobile and her legs are riddled with arthritis. Bebo is going to stop at Wallyworld tomorrow after work and pick up this toilet thing I saw – mom won’t have to sit down that far. It’s a stop-gap until I can get the thing I want – an apparatus that sits over the toilet with bars on the side to help her get up. We’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that she won’t be leaving the bedroom much. I have to see what I need to do to get a hospital bed – she’s having a hard time sitting up and it’s just practically pulling my arm out of the socket to get her into a sitting position. A hospital bed would raise her up and there would be bars to help her get out of bed. I’m hoping Medicare will pay for it, because if it doesn’t then she can’t have one. She’s been eating a little better the last couple of days, so that’s good.

Still having trouble with the internet, so I guess I’m going to have to call them too. It could be the DSL box since it’s one of the first models – you think?

UPDATE: Couldn't post this last night because of the internet, so by this time Bebo has arrived with the toilet thingy and it works like a charm. Yay!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eve--If the toilet thingy is what we have used, I think you can get the armrests alone and just add them to it. Are you using the raised seat that you fill with water to weight it down? That worked well for both my parents (and I got quite used to it, actually!). Oh it's the little things, sometimes, that can bring you down--at least in combination with the big things you're dealing with. I'm glad you have Bebo--she sounds like a real friend.

Tue Jul 25, 08:25:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home