Friday, July 28, 2006

Untitled

Mother hasn't eaten since Thursday afternoon. She keeps throwing up - I don't know what to do. I know it's sinus drainage as she has a dry cough and she says her throat hurts - plus it's mucus that's coming up. She's crying constantly now - I know it sounds selfish but I just want her to shut up! If she's not better by Sunday I may have to take her to the hospital - she's going to scream about that, but I don't know what else to do. To get her into her doctor is a test in torture. I think she needs anti-depressants for one thing. Plus her pain pills are no longer helping her arthritis. She had such a good day on Tuesday, despite falling down. I'm about ready to burst. I'm just praying she sleeps through the night and lets me get some rest before work. She's been up and down out of bed all evening - she doesn't know what she wants. I just want peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karma said...

I'm so sorry that you're having such a rough time and that your mom is feeling so poorly. I think that you should try to take her to the hospital today or at least get her to a doctor on Monday. If she's not eating and throwing up, she could easily get dehydrated. And then there's all these decisions to make about giving her an IV and having to strap her down probably so she won't pull it out (this is what happened with my grandmohter). Stay strong; once you get her meds adjusted, this will get better.

Sun Jul 30, 10:57:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eve--I hope your mother is feeling better by now. One thought I had: does Texas subsidize any homecare? I know in RI you can call Meals on Wheels and a case manager will come to the house. This case manager deals with much more than meals--they can let you know about programs that the state provides for the elderly. Maybe there's some kind of visiting nurse program? I'm suggesting this, hoping that there might be something that can come to you, instead of you having to take your mother out--that can be such an effort, I know. There are also private agencies that will send a nurse case manager out if you contact them, but I don't know if the cost will be covered by Medicare.

My mother has been on an antidepressant for over a year--it definitely helps but has to be monitored and adjusted regularly. She is also on an anti-psychotic med--she had hallucinations--and that also helps her sleep. Email me if you want more info, and I hope you can get some sleep yourself!

Sun Jul 30, 08:51:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home